[Makes about 24 finished cookies]
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temp (170 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Black Velvet Cacao (75 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, and more as needed (210+ grams)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (480 grams)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled (113 grams)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- water, as needed
To make the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and mix in the egg until well combined.
- Add the black cacao and mix on low speed until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Gradually add the flour, until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Start with using up the 1 and 3/4 cups of flour, and then add more as needed, if needed.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Roll it out in between two sheets of parchment paper to prevent sticking and ensure smooth rolling.
- Cut out shapes using a 2-inch round cutter, or using another shape of your choice in a similar size.
- Place on the baking sheets and bake for about 9 - 12 minutes, or until crisp around the edges and set in the centers (until they have lost the shine in the center).
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to wire rack to cool completely.
- Reroll scraps of the dough and cut out more shapes. Repeat until all of the dough is used up. You may need to briefly chill the dough for easier rolling. (But do not over-chill, as the dough will get too hard.)
To make the cream:
Using the paddle attachment, mix together the powdered sugar, melted butter, and vanilla. Add 1 teaspoon of water at a time, if needed, until the mixture resembles a thick dough that is similar to the consistency of playdough. You can use this filling right away, or form into a log, wrap well, and refrigerate for later use (if refrigerating, see specific instructions for that in “Assemble the cookies”).
Assemble the cookies:
Using the Cream Right Away / Room Temp Method:
If using the cream filling right away, take an amount worth about a couple of teaspoons, and using the palms of your hands, gently roll the filling into a ball. Then, simply sandwich it between two cookies! Stack a cookie, ball of filling, another cookie on top, and press down gently until the filling spreads out in between the cookies. Make sure the tops (the “nice polished side”) of the cookies are the outside of the finished cookie (the cream will be touching the bottom side of each individual cookie).
Refrigerated Cream Method:
If you want to refrigerate the filling, divide the filling in half and roll each part into a log that is about 2 inches wide or slightly under 2 inches (if you make the diameter of the log too wide, the filling will stick out of the finished cookie). Roll the log in plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge. When ready to use, remove from the plastic wrap. Using a sharp knife, slice off a piece that is between 1/4 to a 1/2 inch thick. Make them as thin or thick as you like! Stack a cookie, the disk of cream, and then another cookie. Press gently together.
Remember: Adjust the amount of filling as you like! More filling for "double-stuffed" or "triple-stuffed," or just the regular amount or even less... Enjoy!!